Have you discovered Pinterest? It’s an online pinboard where individuals share ideas and projects, and it has become a near obsession these days. While browsing through the website, I came across this neat little art project and had to try it.
Melting. It’s a natural process that we can see every day: the ice in a glass of water, the butter on the bread right after it has been toasted, or the candles on a birthday cake once they have been lit. So then, why not try to liquefy crayons? I gathered my artists and the materials: glue gun, blow dryer, canvases, and lots and lots of crayons. I sat the kids down and explained to them what we would be doing. Though I could have shown them a series of pictures from Pinterest, I decided not to because I wanted them to form patterns for themselves and not compare their work to others. And that is exactly what happened. They quickly grew excited and immediately started picking out crayons and forming patterns of their own. (Apologies for the grainy photos – this was a rainy day project!)
Once the colors and arrangements were finalized, we started the gluing process. I had a low-temperature glue gun but because of the heat, I was still hesitant to let big S use it. Instead, I put the glue onto the canvas and had the kids stick the crayons onto the glue with the tip facing down. After the crayons were glued on, we lined the floor with newspapers and placed the canvases against the wall. Now came the most exciting part – melting the crayons. The kids began to blow-dry the crayons.
After waiting patiently for 2-3 minutes, the crayons were not melting quite as quickly as they hoped. So, we turned the heat up for a bit and moved the blow-dryer closer to the crayons. Eventually, the crayons became soft and started dripping onto the canvas.
Speaking from experience, I would recommend pointing the blow-dryer downward and spreading out a ton of newspapers because once the crayons begin to melt, they splatter. Although the kids got a kick out of melting crayons and the colorful splatter on their clothes, my laundry pile grew somewhat larger. We experimented with different temperatures and angles and ended up with interesting pieces of art. It was a ton of fun on a rainy weekend and it inspired me to try one of my own.